Short term effects of DXM
That depends on how much you take. There are four different kinds of experiences, based on the dosage; these are called plateaus. The first plateau is a mild stimulant effect with a little bit of a buzz, and has been compared to MDA. The second plateau is more intoxicating and has been compared to being drunk and stoned at the same time. The third plateau is dissociative, like a lower dose of ketamine. The fourth plateau is fully dissociative like a higher dose of ketamine.
You should not attempt higher plateau doses unless you have someone with you who can take care of you in case you get sick or freak out. It happens on DXM. Many things can happen unexpectedly on upper plateaus, such as spontaneous memory recall, complex delusions, hallucinations, out-of-body experiences, near-death experiences, and perceived contact with spiritual or alien entities. You need to be pretty stable and grounded before you can handle these things.
- euphoria, mood lift
- increased giggling and laughing
- dissociation of mind from body (positive when sought)
- creative dream-like experiences
- increased tactile sensation
- some users report empathic feelings, forgiveness, warm feelings towards others
- pupil dilation
- visual stop motion effect (flanging or strobing)
- visual and aural hallucinations
- decreased sexual functioning (difficulty achieving orgasm)
- confusion, disorientation
- skin sensitivity, alters tactile (touch) and skin sensations
- robotic, zombie-like walking, “robo-walk”
- discoordination, reduced agility
- Loss of appetite
- Involuntary flexing of muscles
- Feelings of merging with adjacent objects like a couch or bed (with higher doses)
- upset stomach, vomiting
- body itching
- rash, red blotchy skin
- tachycardia (racing, pounding heart)
- some users report feeling disconnected, isolated from others
- some users report hangover/depression on the following 1-2 days.
DXM Long term effets
The abuse of cough medications including DXM can contain other ingredients, such as acetaminophen, which can be very dangerous when taken in large quantities. For example, large quantities of acetaminophen can damage the liver.
DXM is also sometimes abused with other drugs or alcohol, which can increase the dangerous physical effects.